. . . . . . . The Daily Blarf

Friday, October 10, 2003

backboard. rim. air. chain link.

thats where the shots went. my first time playing basketball since the mid-90's looked like...well, my first time, period. i've been wanting to play for a long time, but 1. i haven't been in shape since 10th grade, and 2. i didn't realize until a week ago that Barry Park existed 2 blocks away from me. too bad all my friends are still too fat and weak to play. (that was a joke, i have no friends.)

like the techno-dork i am, i went out and bought a ball that's got a mini air pump inside it (Spalding Infusion) and went to the park to play with the big boys. (short on money, i know. but a crappy ball is 20 bucks. this one was 25, on sale at dicks.) luckily there was enough room to be alone so i could work out the nearly 10 years of neglect on my game. thankfully the big black guys on the ajoining court were too wrapped up in their own game to notice the very white white boy shooting air balls and bricks.

after a half hour or so, i finally started hitting the rim and actually got a few in. i can tell that since high school i've further developed my sense of where the ball is gonna go on a rebound, no doubt from years of...well, i don't know. years of just being alive. reminds me of when i learned to play hacky sack after playing varsity soccer. woulda been helpful with that pesky eye-foot coordination thing. i left after it got dark and couldn't see, not that it affected my shooting percentage any.


p.s. 2 more jeep waves, one from a fellow vintage CJ. and more stares.